Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Taking A Calculated RISK

So here in the hotel, this time in Virginia, I've set up a game for The Portable Wargame rules using some RISK replacement figures purchased from Amazon. 


Ready To Go! (That may be a unit motto somewhere...)

I am trying to prove the principle of a truly portable wargame before my impending deployment to a warm place with a free view of sand traps and scrub. This is yet another step in that process. I will try to paint some of the other figures I have before I go, as I do not expect to have my painting kit as I was fortunate enough to have previously. 


BLUEFOR

The Blue Forces I mounted in a manner similar to Mark C from the TPW FB Group. I figured that this would give me a test group that mirrors what others have done. The artillery on the left, followed by Light Cavalry, then two units of Heavy Cavalry, followed by four strong Line Infantry units, and the right most group being a pair of skirmish type Light Units of mixed infantry and cavalry. 


REDFOR

The Red Forces are mounted slightly differently, with only Light Cavalry and Infantry with five figures instead of six and no dedicated Light Troops. My idea is that they will have some integral skirmish capability or something to that effect, but be less resilient in melee than the BLUEFOR infantry units. 

The ground cloth is almost 36 inches sqaure and was originally intended to be used for a Five Men in Normandy playtest, but more of that anon. 

So, we shall see how this plays out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking A Calculated RISK

So here in the hotel, this time in Virginia, I've set up a game for The Portable Wargame rules using some RISK replacement figures purch...