I do enjoy the 18th century as a wargame period. And based on some conversations we had at the Virtual Wargames Club, a book on wargaming the Russo-Austro-Turkish War of the late 1730's was brought up that piqued my interest.
David Watson, aka Balkan Dave, has published a history of this period with some good basic details if one would be interested in playing out this particular conflict. There are a couple of scenarios for the Battle of Banja Luka and the Battle of Grocka, as well as a generic skirmish scenario.
Dave provides some basic details of the Russian, Austrian, and Ottoman forces and also snippets of the main commanders of the time.
The only complaints I have are that the maps are hard to read and the two orders of battle are likewise in a very small font. Additionally, the rules that Dave and his friends use are called Lust For Glory, which is a set that has not yet been published. It would have been helpful to know some more details about the rules to help understand the OOBs provided for the scenarios. I am especially interested in refighting the Battle of Banja Luka.
Overall, I am enjoying the book. Thanks to Alan and Tidders for mentioning it, a great recommendation!
No comments:
Post a Comment