Monday, September 14, 2026

A New Book in the Duchy

I do enjoy the 18th century as a wargame period. And based on some conversations we had at the Virtual Wargames Club, a book on wargaming the Russo-Austro-Turkish War of the late 1730's was brought up that piqued my interest. 


David Watson, aka Balkan Dave, has published a history of this period with some good basic details if one would be interested in playing out this particular conflict. There are a couple of scenarios for the Battle of Banja Luka and the Battle of Grocka, as well as a generic skirmish scenario. 

Dave provides some basic details of the Russian, Austrian, and Ottoman forces and also snippets of the main commanders of the time. 

The only complaints I have are that the maps are hard to read and the two orders of battle are likewise in a very small font. Additionally, the rules that Dave and his friends use are called Lust For Glory, which is a set that has not yet been published. It would have been helpful to know some more details about the rules to help understand the OOBs provided for the scenarios. I am especially interested in refighting the Battle of Banja Luka. 

Overall, I am enjoying the book. Thanks to Alan and Tidders for mentioning it, a great recommendation! 

8 comments:

  1. Eric, I think they are the horse & musket version of "To the Strongest" and "King & Parliament" by Simon Miller which he is developing and demonstrating at shows in the UK.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, that's what I understand. I have not played either system, so I really have no frame of reference. The playtests from the shows I've seen look interesting.

      Eric

      Delete
    2. They use a grid and playing cards (or chits) instead of dice.

      Neil

      Delete
  2. I've just acquired the book myself. Will be delving in once I have finished the current O'Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Let me know what you think. I am enjoying it, despite the couple of quibbles I mentioned.

      Eric

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a bun baked in memory of P O’B.

      Delete
  3. When at Uni the Edinburgh University Wargames Club and I put on a demonstration game of the battle of Banjaluka, in 25mm with fortifications. We used the old WRG rules back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a fascinating period and is a wee change from the 18th century European warfare. Different troop types and tactics too.

    ReplyDelete

Weekend Update

The weather has turned and summer has definitely turned into autumn. Herself is sick because of it, which has changed plans and such here in...