Sunday, January 28, 2024

Another Sunday Update

 Sorry not coming up with a more snappy title for this post. But it's driech weather here in Virginia and while I like the course I am on, I'm already tired of living in a hotel. 

Fortunately, I have toy soldiers to paint, battlefields to walk, and the Virtual Wargames Club meetings on Saturdays to make things all ship shape and Bristol fashion. 

An officer figure I completed last night, for my upcoming New York Provincial Battalion for the French and Indian War...



As far as the rest if his men that he is supposed to lead, well, they are not too far behind.... 


All with their first coat of primer (grey Gesso) on my swanky Army Painter mat... I'll try to get another coat on the figures tonight before bedtime and that means tomorrow I can start work on the unit when I return from training. 

Of course, it wouldn't be a training mission to Virginia without the requisite perambulation of a battlefield of three. 

Two weeks ago, I wandered about three different locations, was profoundly disappointed in a fourth, and did a quick amble on a fifth. 

The first is Battery Dantzler, located not far from my hotel, which had a role in the Battle of Trent's Reach. This action happened 159 years ago this month. A force of Confederate ironclads and small craft attempted to move down the James River from Richmond and strike City Point, Grant's logistical hub. 

The attack failed, but Battery Dantzler provided fire support for the Confederate Navy. 


The view below is looking down the James River towards the scene of the fighting. 


In the below picture, you see the upriver view towards the city of Richmond, VA


There were a couple of interpretive stands present, this one had a view of the scene of action from the position in a period photograph. 


The remains of one of the gun positions 



Overall, the site is a small park managed by the county and located in an industrial area. Not the easiest to find, but quiet and well marked. 

This week finds me continuing to work on our Air Load Planning curricula. The system of record we use is good, but the skills are perishable. As I have found out to my detriment last week. Two hours of solid work this morning and my Practical Exercise was finally complete. Hmmm. 

We still have our six Formatives and the Summative looming on the horizon, as well as our physical fitness test. As failure means an early departure from the course, I think the New York Provincials may take a bit longer than I was planning. 😬


4 comments:

  1. Fine looking officer, Eric! Reminds me that my FIW collection has not been out on maneuvers in more than a dozen years. Please keep the battlefield walks a comin’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, I have two more queued up. I just need to time to download the good photos and set it all up.

      Eric

      Delete
  2. RSM figure? I'm sure I've got several of those in the lead pile. Quite impressive to have painting to do. I've never managed a 'travel set'. Hope the rest of the course goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, he is an RSM figure. The unit are a combination of RSM and, I think, Battalionfuerer figures.

    The "travel set" is based on a number of deployments and knowing that if I want something, I cannot rely on the Postal Service, so I had better bring my own kit. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Weekend Update

 It's been a fair bit busy around The Duchy, now that I've returned back to my civvy job.  Add in the failure of some plumbing and a...