Monday, December 11, 2023

Soldier King - The Game

 I would blame my interest in this box game from GDW (published in 1982!) on my friend Neil, but truthfully, as a wargaming magpie, it was not hard to grab my attention. This game has some things I really like in a game: a simple set of rules (four pages worth), a nice colourful map to play on, and the capability to transfer to the tabletop for a miniatures wargame. Oh, and it's set in the 18th century in an Imagi-Nation, the Estavian Empire. Pretty much everything I could ask for. 

Neil has painted up some wonderful figures to represent the major and minor nations and is using Volley and Bayonet for the tabletop battles. I will probably use The Square Brigadier from Ross Mac, instead, but but between the game and Neil's project, my interest in 18th century wargaming has been re-ignited. 

I suppose we'll see how this turns out. 




4 comments:

  1. Eric,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Soldier King.
    A number of people have toyed with using it for campaigns, most of which either sadly disappeared or never got beyond a few moves.
    My obsession with it has been over many years and I'm only just getting near completing the armies.....
    I've been distracted enough to even contemplate Modern (post 1945) and Interwar Imagi-Nations.....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eric, glad to see 'Soldier King' getting a plug, I too have used it as the basis for a campaign ( admittedly I kept it very simple - but the game made that possible ), and used Bob Cordery's 'Portable Wargame' for the tabletop battles. It's probably time for a new campaigning season quite soon..
    And I had lots of advice and support from Neil - he is really going for it, very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eric! Neil’s blog had me buy a copy as well. I had one years ago but the rules and map literally fell apart.

    Looking forward to what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Weekend Update

 Almost a month since my last post... Well. Yes. Right. Let's crack on, shall we?  It's Spring here in the Duchy. I know it's Sp...