Wednesday, September 4, 2024

I Have Been To...The Frontier Army Museum

An exercise planning conference at Fort Leavenworth, KS required my attendance, so I was duly given notice, a set of travel orders, and transportation and sent to the land of sunflowers and Kansas City style barbeque. 

Fortunately, that meant I was also able to visit the Frontier Army Museum. The last time I was here was several years ago when I was afforded the opportunity to attend the Military History Instructor's Course. 

Taught by professors who do an American Idol style competition to see who gets to speak in front of a group of Army history nerds, it was an amazing two-week experience which included being allowed "behind the scenes" at the museum to see how they conserve materials and interpret displays. 


Aisles and aisles of artefacts from the Corps of Discovery to the Pershing Expedition

This sleigh was built for and used by Colonel George Custer and his wife

One remarkable display involves the Rocket and Mountain Artillery Battery from the Mexican War

Uniform worn by one of Teddy Roosevelt's 1st US Volunteer Cavalry, aka The Rough Riders

And a Curtiss Jenny biplane used in the pursuit of Pancho Villa... operated by the US Army Signal Corps, of all things. 

It was wonderful to see the artefacts they currently have on display. I highly recommend this museum, even if you have to go through the kabuki dance of going through the visitor's center process to get on post. It's a real treat. There is so much more to see, wagons, kit, weapons, artefacts from Lewis and Clark's expedition, than I can show here. 

I hope you get a chance to see this very interesting part of US military history. 


1 comment:

Meanwhile....Back to Toy Soldiers

 Last weekend I headed up the NE Turnpike Extension to Kingston, PA for a game with the PAWM crew.  The game on our bi-weekly menu was a sem...