Friday, September 13, 2024

Meanwhile....Back to Toy Soldiers

 Last weekend I headed up the NE Turnpike Extension to Kingston, PA for a game with the PAWM crew. 

The game on our bi-weekly menu was a semi-fictional bash between Turks and Russians set in 1750-something. Probably in South Central Kerplachistan. Or not. 

The battle lines are formed. 

The rules were Age of Reason, the figures were provided by Darrell S., who also ran the game, and our host was Mike S. 

For the Turks, it was our glorious host, Omar Bin Mike, myself, and John El OFM, as the Grand Visine.

Our Dastardly Russian opponents were Three Guys Named Ivan (Mark C., JIM B., and Jim) and Roger.

Those Dastardly Russians...minus Roger, hiding off camera

I held the Turkish left flank with my Ortas of the Benandjerries and the Peanutbutterjellies, with some rather questionable gents with bows and more with pointy sticks and swords. I had a similar brigade to my right. Pretty, pretty figures, but nothing I'd want to storm the proverbial castle with. 

The game was one of those "line up and bash about" types, which sometimes is just the mental floss you need after a week at work. 

Our Dastardly Russian foes slowly beat our gallant Turkish hordes and then finally ground us down in several turns of gritty, chart-busting die rolls. (hint: I'm not a fan of AOR, but that's just me)

John El OFM's Big Whomping Gun gets whomped itself, by Cossacks (BOO! HISS!)

Just when you think your Janissaries are doing what they...Orta be doing... 

They fall apart...with the Russians arguing about how good it is to be Russian... 

All in all, a fun game. I like the Seven Years War. But I'd rather play Honours of War or Post of Honour. Too much chart busting with Age of Reason for me. But fortunately, Darrell knows the rules and we have a good group. 


2 comments:

  1. I'd agree on AoR as wargames rules but the Sport of Kings campaign system is good, if a bit too easy to conquer neutral states (such as Saxony and Bavaria). Fun memories of a SoK campaign in which I had Russia (beset by Turks, Swedes and Prussians!)
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, thanks for sharing eric.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete

Meanwhile....Back to Toy Soldiers

 Last weekend I headed up the NE Turnpike Extension to Kingston, PA for a game with the PAWM crew.  The game on our bi-weekly menu was a sem...